What is Cloud Bread?
Cloud bread is a high-protein bread substitute. Cloud bread is made by whipping egg yolks, cream of tartar, or corn starch, and sugar to create a soft, fluffy, meringue-like texture. This mixture is often mixed with full-fat dairy products, such as yogurt. Then it’s poured into the egg yolks and then spooned onto baking sheets. The cloud bread recipe that I’m going to show you doesn’t contain dairy. The “bread” will be crisp and meringue-like when it comes out of the oven. It will become chewier and more bready if it is allowed to cool completely.
How does cloud bread taste ?
It is very eggy, but not like bread. The mouthfeel is more like an omelet, light and airy. Despite the sugar content, the egg taste is predominant when it’s warm.
Although cloud bread may look like blue cotton candy, it is more moist and bouncy than that and doesn’t melt like cotton candy. It’s actually more substantial than that, but calling it bread would be a mistake.
This bread is more like chiffon, angel food, or sponge cake than any other bread. It could use a bit more flavoring, such as a few drops of vanilla.
I would recommend cooling it completely with whipped cream and strawberries. It tastes great warm.
Recipe for cloud bread | Ingredients
- Eggwhites. The egg whites give cloud bread its loft and fluffiness. Separate egg whites by yourself. Otherwise, they will not whip up. While it is better to separate eggs at room temperature, they will still whip up well if they are cold. You can also buy egg whites in a box at the grocery store. This is what I did. Three large egg whites are required, or approximately six tablespoons of egg whites from a carton.
- Use regular white sugar. Sugar will stabilize your egg whites and make them fluffier. Your cloud bread will also taste sweeter due to the sugar.
- Cornstarch. To soak up the extra liquid in your meringue, you only need a little bit of cornstarch. Cornstarch can also make your meringue shine.
- Food coloring. If you wish to make your clouds brighter, this is an option.
How to make cloud bread 2022
- Whisk the egg whites. Transfer your egg whites into a clean, grease-free bowl. Mix your egg whites until they are light and fluffy.
- Mix in sugar. Continue to stir until sugar dissolves and egg whites foam up.
- Add the cornstarch. I like sifting the cornstarch into a fine powder. Keep whipping on high until you have a glossy, thick meringue. When the egg whites have reached a peak, they should be lifted from the bowl by the beater. They should look like shaving cream if you tilt the bowl. You must be careful not to whip too much!
- Form the cloud using a rubber spatula. Place the meringue on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake. Cook in a low oven until golden brown and cooked through.
Cloud bread Nutritional Facts
- Saturated Fat